The Microtest Guru solution is delivering real benefit for patients with diabetes who are admitted to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth, by giving clinicians immediate access to detailed patient records to enhance treatment and care. Members of the Diabetes Inpatient team are now able to access vital GP patient clinical records via Guru, as it allows two-way remote access to GP patient records held within Microtest’s Evolution clinical system.
Clive Vincent, who works in the Inpatient Diabetes team says: “I am saving a lot of time now thanks to Guru. Part of the problem before Guru, was getting access to medical history for each patient that was referred to the team. I need to know when the patient was diagnosed, whether they have Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes etc, and sometimes the information given by a patient and what we read in patient records did not marry up. Before Guru, I had to telephone the GP surgery of each patient and request a patient medical record, which would then need to be faxed over to me. This could be time consuming of course, if the surgery was closed or receptionists busy. But now I can click into Guru and check key information, for example, check bloods, to see how far off kilter the patient is in hospital. I have only been using Guru for a short while, but the time saving and patient safety benefits are clear already.’
Patrick English, Consultant in Diabetes, Endocrinology, Acute and General Internal Medicine says: I am delighted with the way the project is progressing and really pleased that Guru is saving us time and effort, while improving outcomes for patients.’
Guru has also been rolled out across Kernow CCG and several hospitals across Cornwall, including Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske.
Notes to Editors
Guru – What is unique about Guru patient record sharing?
- Practice determine which aspects of a patient record to share with which organisations and which users within those organisations
- Guru provides total control to practices over patient record access
- Sharing records with one organisation does not allow any other organisation or user to view those records
- Guru is securely located on N3 and encrypted to the latest standards
- Guru is virtual leaving no traces of data behind after a patient record has been viewed
- Guru is penetration tested by external consultants Capita IT Professional Services to ensure maximum security levels are provided as standard.